Every month we add new retailers and bar partners, bringing our 100% real cocktail vinegars to more consumers in DC, New Orleans, New York, and spots in between.
I believe that drinking well shouldn’t be a challenge—that everyone can enjoy craft cocktails at home; that every guest at the bar deserves an exciting new experience; and that non-alcoholic drink options can be just as cool as cocktails.
Our goals for our Year 1 were pretty straightforward, to produce the best shrubs at the most reasonable price. This is how I looked at the task:
- First, craft flavors that keep consumers coming back. I’ve made countless infusions, syrups, shrubs, bitters, and tonics—a thousand flavors for a thousand drinks. Our shrubs reflect ten years of curiosity and research to bring you a flavor lineup that emphasizes classic cocktail flavors, pure fruit character, and the perfect balance between tart and sweet.
- Second, make a commercial shrub that is attractive to bartenders—both amateur and professional. That requires three things: 1) shelf-stability, 2) consistency, and 3) value.
- Finally, answer the ultimate question: Will this work? In the end, who knows. For now, all signs point to yes.
Now we’re running headlong into “Year 2.” And that means we have a new set of goals:
- Increase our local sourcing. Enriching the “food shed” is important to me. Shrub District supports regional growers and sustainable agriculture by sourcing fruit and herbs from farms in the mid-Atlantic. But we can do better. This year we’ll be enhancing our relationships with local farmers, increasing our purchasing volume, and helping them grow as we grow.
- Create jobs that won’t disappear. I hired my first employee in October. If you haven’t met him yet, his name is Corey. He’s as excited about the future of Shrub District as I am (and happens to love cocktails). It’s important to me that the value we create for our employees mirrors the value we provide to our customers. Corey’s now an integral part of the Shrub District family.
- Keep Innovating. I have about 10 new products circling my brain at any one time. I’m excited to share them with you when the time is right. For now, make sure to stay connected with us and I promise to share news of our R&D successes.
Shrub District doesn’t exist without you. I’m eternally grateful for the family, friends, customers, suppliers, distributors, and DC’s vibrant community of food entrepreneurs who have so enthusiastically supported us in this adventure.
Thank you for all the support and enthusiasm. I’m excited to share this journey (and a toast) with you.